Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hands are busy

Time to post again. Have been informed of my "slacking" in the posts. Will try to keep up with them. (now I will have to tease her about updating hers..) I've been keeping my hands busy and have just completed and mailed off an eyeglass case that I have done for another rug hooker. Thank you Judith Ann for the order! Not sure if she reads the blog, but just in case, I wanted to say thank you. I hope she likes it.

I was able to get out of the house last Thursday night to go and hook at Linda and Pat's shop in Chambersburg for a little bit. I didn't have any of my antique black dyed, but was able to get the front and back picture all hooked. Spent the next few days filling it in and the constructing it. The whipping of it and putting the lining in takes a bit of time. During this time, I was also able to finish the 2 punch needle pieces I've been doing. One is a bunny and wasn't sure how to finish it off. When I went to look at my fabrics, I was amazed to see that I had a piece of material perfect for the backing. It really looks like I chose the floss to match the fabric. Just a wonderful coincidence... So I'll be making it into a sweet pinkeep. Will get to that today and post a picture of it later. Have to think about if I want to try and sell it, or keep it for myself. That's the problem sometimes. You like something too much to want to get rid of it. So we'll see. The other piece, I am working on attaching it to a piece of wool scrap that I got from Linda. She makes WW1 uniforms, and this piece of wool was used to make the garment. A bit too thick to hook with, but perfect for a penny rug. So I'm playing around with that also. I also brought some grey wool home from her that I want to experiment and dye an antique black to use for penny rugs. They are calling for some yucky weather today, so perhaps I can get the dye pot out and try a piece. Good day to stay in. Thank you Linda, and will let you know how things turn out..
Here is another rug I did back in 2005. It's a Norma Batastini pattern. A group of girls I hook with got Norma to come out here and teach a technique with this pattern on using different materials. I wasn't able to attend the class, but did purchase the pattern and chose to hook it plain. It's hanging in my hallway when you enter my home.
Wishing everyone a warm, creative day..

3 comments:

Tammy Burks said...

Love the eyeglass case. I've made one and had to keep it...for such a small project I found it very labor intensive to finish, but I do love it and use it every day. Have you made one for yourself?

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Tammy,

Thank you. I have made one for myself and use it all the time. Have made a few as gifts too. Yes, finishing is labor intensive, but I don't mind. Love the end result! Thanks again..

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

I love it too Kathy!! Very nice hooking. My goal is to make a purse for myself.