Friday, July 3, 2009

Glad to be home and Happy 4th!

What a week it has been. Too exhausted the last couple of days to update on George's condition. I want to thank everyone again for their prayers and concerns. It means a great deal to both of us. We thought everything was going well until Wednesday when all of a sudden he developed a fever of 102. Then he became short of breath again like he was before he even had the chest tube. Within a short amount of time, they had him down in CCU monitoring him closely. He really had me scared, and I'm sure it scared him just as much. Without going into the whole drawn out story, I just want to advise anyone who is getting treated for any kind of condition, to take control of your own health, and I don't mean diagnose yourself. But stand up for yourselves and don't let any doctor treat you with anything less than the respect and compassion that you deserve. We had one doctor "treat" George without even stepping foot in to "see" him. I took charge of that situation and spoke for George, and we soon got some results from him.
The next day George was feeling a bit better and the doctor was going to take the tube out. But when George coughed, the machine bubbled which meant he still had a leak. The doctor said to wait another day. So they waited a while and sent him back up to the same floor he was on. He had a pretty good day yesterday. A fever off and on, but was controlled. He had some visitors and by the time they left in the evening he was pretty tuckered out. This morning we waited to see if the doctor would pull the tube out. George coughed a couple times and there were no bubbles. So they took it out and then did an xray. We were disappointed to hear that there still was a slight pneumothorax. We were ready to go home. Had to wait until 6 tonight to take another xray. The doctor said if there was no change then he could leave. Thank God, there was no change. We got home around 8:30. Feels so good to have him here again. He will be off for the next week to recoup. Doctor said no strenuous exercise at all. We need to make an appointment for him for next Friday, but have to have another chest xray Monday or Tuesday.
When we came home, we saw that our grass had been cut! Will find out who did it and give them a big hug and thank you!! Tomorrow will be a very relaxing day, and then on Sunday we may have a cook out. Nicole will be home then and maybe Craig and Lake will join us.
Happy 4th to ALL of you! Give your loved ones a big hug and be thankful you are sharing it with them! Safe travels to all of you if you plan on going away...
Thank you all again, and I soon hope to be back into the swing of doing some creating. Ooooh, how I will enjoy that!!


Joanne said...

Kathy - OOOOOOOOh so glad George is home - tell him he MUST take it easy and to relax - no acting like he's "superman" to relax and enjoy the pampering. Take care of yourself too! Hope he feels 100% soon! Thanks for taking the time to update us!

Mary said...

Kathy, so glad to hear that you got to bring George home today. Hope you both are able to just relax and enjoy being home. Prayers will continue for George's healing and your well being as well! Happy 4th and glad you're both back where you belong! My offer still stands if you need anything...

Boggy Creek Primitives said...

Oh Kathy ~ I just read all you've been going through. How awful but I'm so happy to read George is home and doing better. I hope you both have a wonderful 4th of July!
Big Hugs,

weaverpat said...

Hi kathy,
I hope both of you got some rest last night. I'm glad George is home and doing well. And now you can relax and not worry as much!
Have a nice quiet weekend!!!

Sheri said...

Kathy, keeping you and yours in my prayers. Have a happy and fun fourth!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Kathy ~
So glad that George is finally home. Take a deep breath....and have a very happy holiday. Having George home is what counts the most.
Pug hugs :)