Sunday, October 4, 2009

Happy 91st Birthday Mom!

Today my dear Mother in law Harriet is 91 years young! I called her today on my way back from church to wish her a Happy Birthday. She said it doesn't seem possible, and she can't believe that she's that old. I said well, you better believe it!
Last week when I was talking with her and asked her if there was anything special that she wanted for her birthday, she responded. "I want a banana split". That's ALL she wanted. I'm thinking oh my, the season is almost over. I hope I can find some place that will make it. I lucked out, and there was a place not far from her. Again, this is ALL she wanted. I brought pizza and a cake too, but nope, just this ! Oh she was tickled to death. She was eating this before we even sat down to eat our pizza. I handed her a spoon and she was on her way! She said I'll never be able to eat it all. I said don't worry, we'll put it in the freezer. Well, let me tell ya, there was one scoop left to put in the freezer. She did some major eating lol!

So tell me.... Why is it when you get a camera out, does everyone make faces???
Even the Birthday Girl!


George still can't understand how he got Craig's head centered in this shot lol. He stuck the camera out in front of his face. Too funny.

Anyway, everyone at least got serious enough to eat. Ok, almost......

At 91, what do you get someone?? She really doesn't need or want anything. What was really nice is that everyone was able to be here today for her. Nicole and her boyfriend Brandon and Craig and his girlfriend Lake. This was the first time my mil met Lake, and I think we all had a good time. Craig and Lake got her a couple books. She loves to read. And I bought her a new address book. I noticed hers is all ratty and falling apart. She had mentioned a while back that she would need a new one. Glad I remembered. And we all had a good laugh at the way she puts her numbers in the book. Her Dr. Wellmon is under "D" for doctor lol. But hey, if it works for her, that's all that matters.

Linda at work last week had made one of these over the arm of the chair holders. You can't see it too well, but it has pockets of different sizes on each side. I had asked her if we could make one up for my mil. Well, she made it up in no time. And Linda, my mil says "Thank You" very much!! She Loves it!! On one side is just one big pocket. Her new address book fits great in there, and on the other side it is sectioned off and she can put her remote and pens in them.

Harriet really does not like cameras, but she made sure I took a picture of this card she got in the mail today. Nicole and Brandon had run down to the mail boxes and got her mail. This, along with other cards were waiting for her. But this card says "To My Favorite Aunt". She was all happy about that lol. So now I can tell her I put it on the blog too.

Well this year there is no countdown for me. Last year I had a count down to my birthday and I celebrated it for over a week. I still may celebrate it for a while, but not making a big deal of it. George and I will go out to AppleBee's for dinner.

Craig is working on Tuesday and so is Nicole. So Craig and Lake gave me my gift tonight. They gave me some wonderful smelling candles. I can't wait to burn them!! Thank you Craig and Lake!
Lake said I could keep them if I didn't make fun of her wrapping. Well, I would never do that! I love ever little crease and crinkle in there lol. Too cute!

I'm really happy everyone was able to be here tonight. I know my mil will be talking about it for quite a while........ Thanks kids for making her day!
And Mom, I hope you have another healthy year! So next year we can do this all over again...

6 comments:

weaverpat said...

Oh, Kathy, what a nice celebration! All of you look like you're having a wonderful time!
A banana split for her 90th b-day! Now that's a lady I admire!!!

Joanne said...

Great pics - everyone looked so happy! Your MIL is truly a character - So glad she enjoyed her Banana Split!

primitivebettys said...

Happy Birthday to Harriet & to you tomorrow! ;)

Smiles,

Betty

WoolenSails said...

Kathy,
What a wonderful party for your MIL.
Those were perfect gifts for someone her age and you can see how much it meant to her to have all her family around, by that big smile:)

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Kathy, What a great daughter-in-law you are for your mil. God truly blessed her and I am sure she knows it. You truly are a sincerely kind person and it is my pleasure to have you as a friend.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful celebration Kathy!! Happy Birthday to you and your mil. I hope I look as good as Harriet does at 91! You all look so happy together...great memories.