Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sweet sunshine

It sure has been sunny the last couple of days. Today was exceptionally nice. Sun shining, warmer temps, yep Spring is coming! And here is something that my friend Joan sent me that I forgot to share with you. She sent me an email for all the talk I was doing about seeing a dead skunk on the road.

Dear Doubter(s)
Spring is on it's way.
1 - saw a groundhog the day after Groundhogs Day, happily crunching on grass.
2 - the beech trees are shedding their leaves (the new ones push the old dead ones off right about NOW)
3 - I saw a dead skunk on the road to the feed mill yesterday.
So SPRING IS COMING - trust me!!
lol J

I'm thinking we ought to Believe Joan LOL!! Thanks Joan for that message :).

Didn't feel much like posting this past week. Just busy and by the time I thought about it, I was too tired. Figured I might as well catch up now before another week goes by.
Thursday was the hook-in and it was a quiet day.

Joanne didn't surprise me this time! I talked with her via email and she said she was planning on coming out. Soo, I told her we would go out for lunch, which was really good. Why is it that a salad tastes so much better when someone else makes it? Afterwards we headed on over to the shop. Joanne got right to work on whipping her little mats she brought with her. I didn't get a final shot of them, but she finished them all!
Barb was there and she was working on hand piecing another quilt.



Cathy came later. Her sister Genny was there also, but didn't get a shot of her. Cathy finished this piece and is thinking of what she will do next. She is just starting with hooking and is enjoying every minute of it.

Here are two hooks that were Cathy and Genny's mom's. Aren't they cool? One has a thimble on it and the other seems to be made from a butter knife or some other utensil. Very interesting. They will treasure them I'm sure. They didn't even know there Mom had them.



Later in the day Nancy came. She finished her rug and it is just beautiful. She used blue and white ticking for the binding. So different and it really added that special touch to the piece!



Sarah came and was doing some sewing for Linda. Here Linda is guiding her and then she was on her way. She finished the vest from start to finish in just a couple hours. It was really nice.


It was a quiet day as far as the number of people that came, but that didn't stop us from having all the laughs like we always do. I even got a lot done on my rug that day. And today I finished it completely. And yes, that means I have labeled it too!
Can't show a picture yet as it is the challenge rug with AAPG. I'm pleased with it, and as soon as I can, I'll share it with you all.

Joanne left early, well earlier than she usually stays. She was getting her hair cut the next morning. But Joanne just couldn't leave without giving us a piece of herself. Yep, something on her head LOL.



I did go in to work on Friday just to do a little bit of dyeing for Linda. While I was there, I noticed that a gift was left for me. We are doing a Secret Pal there and we will reveal ourselves at Christmas time. I had gotten one other gift so far, but never got a chance to show you. I ate it :). It was a box of chocolate truffles. Mmm, were they ever good! I have given up chocolate for Lent. Something I have never done before. I wanted to make sure it was something I truly love. I told my husband about it and said I wanted to go a little further with this. I said if I have any cravings (like I'm not going to lol), then I plan on replacing the urge by praying for someone. So far I'm doing great. And there are prayers being lifted :).
Ok, so back to the gift. It was in a really cute bag, and she went to a lot of trouble to cut out the wool and glue it on the bag.

This is what was inside. A collapsible basket (isn't that cool?), a primitive sign, a candle, some shower gel, and a little sheep bag. A BIG thanks to my Secret Pal!!



The other fun part of my weekend was watching my daughter take care of a baby for the weekend. She has a child development class and they are expected to take a baby home for the weekend. I had to sign papers for it, read through all the rules and regulations, etc. She even watched a movie seeing others and what they went through.
She brought it home Friday. She actually had a hair appt in town and had to walk there with this baby in tow. It came with a diaper bag and a baby carrier to carry it in. I was there to pick her up after her hair cut. When I walked in, I was greeted as Grandma! I hadn't seen it yet and was so curious. I went back into the room and there he was. I started laughing. Couldn't wait to hold him. They said the babies would weigh between 6 and 7 lbs. Just like a newborn. He wasn't activated yet. That was to happen sometime near 5:00. So I got to see how the head moved and everything. We had a couple errands to run afterwards and we just made it back into the garage by 5:00 and that's when he started to cry. I was laughing so hard, Nicole jumped out and got him out of the backseat. She had to wear this bracelet that she had to put on his back and it would activate the baby. Then she had to figure out what it needed. She got the bottle out and put it to it's lips. It started to make a suckling sound. I was so hysterical I thought I was going to pee my pants LOL. Here is a shot of her feeding it. And yes, you are seeing right. It is a black little baby. He was soo cute. She even named him. Vincent Riley! He fed on that bottle for a good 20 mintues. It was just too funny to see her panic the way she did. I had to help her out the first time and then she was on her own.



And as you can see, nothing was stopping her from her snack LOL.



The first night he only woke up once. Last night however was a different story. It was almost every hour or so she said. Can you say cranky this morning? lol. Ooooh, yes she was!! Not sure how he'll be tonight. He will automatically turn off tomorrow morning at 7:00 am. I'm wondering how she'll take her shower? Guess I'll have to babysit him in the morning. I've had to do that a couple times, but not for long periods of time. And yes, I too have had to feed him and change him. She even took it to work with her yesterday. She had to work from 1-10 pm. It was a long day and then for him to be up that many times last night? It was a goooood lesson!

So that was my weekend. Wish I would have taken a walk today, but I was busy finishing up that rug and finishing up the laundry. I can't wait to get outside and do something.

Wishing you all a wonderful week ahead! Hope the sun shines down on you all and makes you smile :).

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Spacify offers a wide selection of quality Wool Rug to decorate your home

weaverpat said...

Hi Kathy,

Oh, the baby made me laugh! I bet there's a lot of parents who wish they could de-activate their kids once in a while! LOL!!!

Spring is really on it's way! I've now seen three skunks dead on the road. Probably because they got between the snowbanks and couldnt climb back up!!!

Have a great week! Hope to see you sometime soon.

moosecraft said...

It certainly was a beautiful weekend with all this brilliant sunshine we had! A tease of hope that Spring will get here quick! Love Nancy's rug! Still giggling about Vincent Riley... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Loved this post!! The baby was crackin me up!! I loved the picture with the snack it looked like me and isaac after he was first born! Thats why i need to do weight watchers now!!! I was laughing outloud at the computer!! Hook in looked like lots of fun and everyone accomplishing something. I have never seen Sarah before?? Is she newly employed by Rick? and where was AAAAArron? I loved the winter blues bag....

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

Kathy,
My daughter had to take care of a baby too. I was glad when it was over. LOL!
Keep the faith, spring is coming. March 14 we spring ahead on the clocks. I can't wait, feel like I've been in hibernation.

Doris said...

It's been a long, long winter! I love the baby - Hope Nicole takes this lesson to heart. Can't turn the real ones off - altho we all wish at times we could! Keep the hook moving,

corinna said...

great gifts
love the bags

you are too young to be a grandma!

great rugs
and j is right about skunks
they always are the first to lurk about in spring!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Kathy ~
Great post. Well worth the wait...lol!
Grant Street always looks like so much fun. Keep on sharin'! What wonderful old rug hooks ~ how special.
Vincent Riley...did she call him Vinnie for short? Too cute.
Hope your week is off to a great start.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

BethC said...

Saw (and smelled lol) a dead skunk on the way to work this morning.

Joanne said...

Hey Grandma - hopefully it's true and Spring is on it's way - just gotta thru Feburary and most of March! Vincent Riley is too cute and too with Nicole feeding the baby and having a snack!